debzbookshelf

That Time I Joined the Circus
J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2)

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2) - Everyone and their mother has read Divergent (my friend’s mom is actually the one who introduced me to Divergent!) It’s “The Next Hunger Games”, #1 New York Times Bestselling, 2014 Hollywood blockbuster movie kind of book. And while it certainly lives up to it’s hype, it’s sequel didn’t quite reach the high expectations I had.I’m not going to go over the plot because A: the synopsis is only three inches above this paragraph, B: Every other person and their mother has already read it, and C: I don’t remember most of it. I still have the general gist of the plot stuck in my head, but the thing it, not much happened. I don’t mind slow-paced books, but this was more of a slow-paced-ish-and-nothing’s-really-going-on-until-the-very-rushed-end kind of book. Things slowly build while the characters sit around, and then all of a sudden everyone’s running around and dying and top secret info is out in the open, and then it all ends.And besides the plot, I wasn’t a big fan of Tris. In the first book she grows into such a strong, admirable character, but at the start of Insurgent it’s like nothing happened to her! She flat and weak and nothing like the Tris I remembered. I did enjoy all the secondary characters, though. Especially Four…Four and Tris had good chemistry, and their romance has definitely become stronger since Divergent, which I liked. If Tris had stayed the same as she was in Divergent, they would’ve made an excellent couple! As it is, Four was able to make up for Tris’s shortcomings with his swoonworthyness (which is now a word).I will compliment Veronica Roth’s writing, though. It was absolutely excellent, and a vast improvement from her already amazing writing in Divergent. Despite suffering from “Sequel Syndrome”, I’m still excited to see how she wraps up this epic series!