debzbookshelf

That Time I Joined the Circus
J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Uglies (Uglies Trilogy, Book 1)

Uglies - Scott Westerfeld This book has been recommended to me dozens of times, but I somehow never managed to pick it up. It looked like just another dystopian, but it was something more than that. It’s what set the stage for these zillions of other dystopian YA novels to follow, and many have had a tough time measuring up to it.I think I had a hard time with the story at first because it seemed to follow the same structure of so many other books I’ve read. And then it dawned on me that this was actually written before nearly all those books! I still found the plot somewhat predictable, but enjoyed it more so after.It was kind of hard to connect with Tally at first because of how warped her views were, but as she learned more about the real world, she became much more relatable. On the other hand, I really liked Shay from the beginning, but as Tally grew more distant from her, I began to like Shay less.The world held many familiar elements from our world, but everything was so skewed. The way that people had been taught to think was really foreign and strange. And after learning some plot-spoiling secrets, I found myself dying to learn more. I wish there’d been more explained behind how the world came to be this way, but I guess that’s what the other books are for!