debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Across the Universe

Across the Universe - Beth Revis Originally Posted on Debz BookshelfThis is the very best kind of book, and that's the kind of book that makes you think! I've been thinking so much, yet I can't describe it's awesomeness. It's such a freaky concept, being cryogenically frozen for 300 years just so you can go live on a new planet. I know I could never do it! I'm a wimp!The whole universe within Godspeed was so strange. It seems so close, and yet so far from what we know of Earth today. It had all the same things we have here, but they've evolved away from the rest of humanity into something utterly unique and kind of creepy. This whole book seemed kind of reminiscent of Pixar's WALL-E. All these people take off on a spaceship for a planned amount of time, hoping for a better life, but as time goes on, there is less thought of what lays behind or ahead of them, leaving the ship and it's inhabitants in a dangerous state.I was on the edge of my seat basically the whole way through. New mysteries kept popping up, trying to puzzle me. Each time another secret was revealed I was in shock every bit as much as the characters, although I must say I suspected the crook right from the start. The writing was powerful. It was there to tell a story; to get a point across. Beth certainly knows how to tell her story in such a manner that it grabs the attention of all the readers, and takes them on an unforgettable journey.MATURE CONTENT: So basically, they have a mating season every 20 years where everyone mates. And, it isn't this passionate and private thing, it's very aggressive and empty of emotion, and is done casually in very public places. It's purely hormone driven, with no love involved. There is attempted rape. It starts somewhere on page 220 and goes to the end of the chapter. I really don't like any of this kind of stuff in my books, but I don't mind it as much in this book because it's important to the plot, not just thrown in there casually trying to attract more readers with unattractive behavior. Also, tons of made up curse words which, in my opinion, are just as bad as real ones.