debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Butter

Butter - Erin Jade Lange This is a hard review to write. I’m really not sure what I thought of Butter. It was just way too different from anything I’m used to, so I don’t have any books to compare it to.But I felt I could relate on some level to the storyline, as someone who is overweight and knows several morbidly obese people. I recognized Butter’s behaviors as things that I’d seen in other people and even in myself. Though I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone planning on eating themselves to death.I found Butter was hard to connect with, especially in the beginning, because he’d already given up. He’d reached the point that he really didn’t care that he was already slowly eating himself to death, and wasn’t going to try to change anything. But the further we got into the book, the more we were able to see about Butter, both inside and out. And by the end I actually found myself almost liking him.I really liked seeing how Butter used his music. Whenever he was bored or having a tough time, he would either turn to food or his saxophone. I’ve felt that so many times. If I’m having a crappy day, I’ll either break out my stash of Snickers, or go play my favorite show tunes on the piano. I liked seeing how his music affected him throughout the novel.The writing was excellent. It reflected the overall attitude of the book, and Butter’s emotions. It felt raw and real, and handled such a difficult subject with ease. And, though this may not be a good thing, Butter’s completely morbid, twisted thoughts seemed almost logical!This book definitely isn’t for everyone, especially those who have a tough time talking about obesity, but it will find a way to keep it’s audiences captive under it’s flaky, warm, and very buttery spell.Language: Heavy (Multiple s*** d*** f*** g** b****** etc… )Sensuality: Moderate (Seeing as how Butter is 423 pounds, he doesn’t get very far with any girls, but there’s plenty of talk about that kind of stuff. Touching a girl’s breasts is on Butter’s bucket list. )Violence: Moderate (Lots of bullying. Butter jumps off a cliff. And eating yourself to death is kind of self inflicted violence. )Recommended age: 16+