debzbookshelf

That Time I Joined the Circus
J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

The Runaway King (Ascendance Trilogy Series #2)

The Runaway King - Jennifer A. Nielsen I had feelings for The False Prince that I’d never had before with a book. It holds a special place in my heart. After finishing it, I knew I could die happy. It ended on the perfect note, with just enough left open for the reader to imagine what could happen next. But then I found out about a sequel, and I was not happy. There was no way there could be a follow-up to such perfection that wouldn’t fall flat.I should not have doubted.The Runaway King was even better than The False Prince. Sage is back and better than ever. He’s stubborn and cocky and daring. He’s got big, king-sized shoes to fill and a bunch of old guys telling him what to do. Luckily he’s not one to blindly obey, and takes matters into his own hands, resulting in an unforgettable adventure!Sage has such a distinct voice. Often, the voices in so many of the great books I’ve read tend to blend together in my mind after a while. But not Sage’s. His personality shines through and makes for a memorable experience.One thing I was excited about going into things was the prospect of the budding romance between Sage and Imogen finally blossoming. While things didn’t go quite the way I’d hoped, we still got to see Imogen, who’s a lot stronger than she initially appears. Their interactions were some of my absolute favorite parts.The Runaway King has a darker, more mature tone than its predecessor, and that definitely contributed to my overall enjoyment. The country is on the brink of war, the stakes are even higher, and there are Pirate Assassins! This is one I will not soon forget, and will be endlessly recommending to readers of all shapes and sizes.