debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska - I’m so glad this was my first exposure to John Green. He is a storytelling master. He told a realistic and tragic and wonderful story about a random teenager and how his life was changed.This story starts out completely ordinary, but grows into something extraordinary. And it’s all thanks to Alaska. Alaska was such an intriguing character. I wasn’t sure what to think of her at first. It wasn’t until I was almost halfway through that I really began to realize what kind of character she was. She’s probably one of the most complex characters that I’ve read about in a very long time.This wasn’t a particularly exciting plot, but that’s okay. It moved at a pace that allowed you time to reflect on what was happening. And boy, was there a lot to reflect on. This is a book that makes you think really really hard about some things, and it’s so easy to see why it won the Printz medal.MATURE CONTENT: There’s a reason I don’t really read realistic fiction. There’s usually more drinking and sexual content, and other nasty stuff. This was exploding with all that. After only the first few chapters, I found myself frequently replacing words with new words such as fork and spit. There were endless sexual references, as well as several vivid sexual scenes, and I started skipping once the pants came off. And the characters were almost always drunk and/or smoking.