debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Going Vintage

Going Vintage - Lindsey Leavitt Going Vintage was a fast, light-hearted, and surprising look at how technology affects our lives and influences our relationships. Filled with realistic characters, an exciting plot, and laugh-out-loud humor, Going Vintage is something you will not want to miss!Initially, Mallory ditches her boyfriend and all technology on a whim, but throughout the book you can see how her choice affects her in both good ways and bad. Her choice is tested multiple times, pushing her to the point where she almost caves in, but she stuck with her commitment, which I loved.I LOVED all the characters. Mallory is slightly stubborn and not perfect in the slightest, and that's what makes the reader fall in love with her. And yet Mallory seemed almost plain in comparison to the wide array of characters surrounding her. Ginnie was clever and quirky, and an all around amazing sister.Ginnie and Mallory had a great relationship that almost made me want to treat my sisters better. (I said almost). Ginnie was an amazing sister. You never see families, let alone families that don't hate each other, in YA. Mallory’s relationship with her parents was realistically portrayed, but not overdone, which was nice.I thought it was incredibly clever how each chapter began with a list. Mallory and I both seem to be compulsive list-makers, so it was nice to see that shown in the book.Going Vintage was a hilarious story with some small truths woven in, which will make readers step back and look at what’s really important to them in a refreshing way.