debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Shadows on the Moon

Shadows on the Moon - Zoë Marriott Originally posted on Debz BookshelfThis is probably one of the darkest Cinderella retellings out there. That being said, it’s also one of the best. The emotional journey that Suzume goes through is astounding. She starts out as a timid girl and grows to be a strong young woman.The writing captured me right away! From the moment I opened the book, I knew it would be hard lot to love. It was powerful and fluid and told the story in an almost magical way.This book was very dark and heavy, but not at all in a bad way. After a reading session of about 5 chapters, I’d feel overwhelmed by everything that went on, and I’d need to take a break for something lighter, but at the same time I’d want to keep going, because I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next!While I was reading, I would fall so deep into the story that I would forget it’s a retelling of Cinderella until I’d take a moment to stop and realize all the subtle elements of the fairy tale weaving their way into the plot.MATURE CONTENT:This book was just dark. It starts right off with lots of murder, and it doesn’t get much happier as the story progresses. There’s cutting, which made me shudder because I’m just scared of sharp things in general. Revenge is a big theme of this book, and it isn’t taken lightly.There’s also some sexual stuff, but it was very quick and not very explicit, so I didn’t mind it that much. (Oh, and there’s also a drag queen of sorts. Kind of weird…)