debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green I finally--FINALLY-- read it! Regular visitors know how much I don't like contemporary, but this isn't just contemporary. This is so completely different from anything else I've ever experienced. When I finished reading, all I could think was "Why did I read this?" It's the most painful experience I've endured in a very long time.I don't think I can really review this properly. The characters weren't just characters, they were real people. They had such real emotions that I can't describe them in a single paragraph! Hazel was just...wow. Augustus was just...double wow. Just trust me. If I go into any more detail I might just burst into tears.The famous quote everyone's seen at least once sums up my thoughts about the book perfectly:"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once"It was exactly like that for me. I started out just sticking my feet in the water, giving it a little taste. It was good, but not great. Then the next thing I knew I had fallen in, overwhelmed by how incredible it was. Once I reached a certain point (those who have read it know exactly where), I was a wreck. I just started sobbing. Thanks to other bloggy friends I was prepared physically with a giant box of tissues, but nothing could prepare me for the emotional trauma that was suffered that afternoon.Moderate Language and Sexual Content: (Multiple d*** s*** a** f***, kissing, descriptions of making out, Augustus and Hazel do sleep together, but it's not explicit at all, crude and suggestive humor throughout)