debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys “Have you ever wondered what a human life is worth? That morning, my brother's was worth a pocket watch.”This quote near the beginning of the book kind of sums up how horrifying this whole book is. It’s terrible, and yet so painfully beautiful. It brought me to tears, and things never got much happier.Lina was an amazing character. She’s just a normal girl who withstands impossible circumstances. But she’s a wimp compared to her mom. Her mom was so strong and selfless. She’s an amazing role model for women. She would literally give anything for her loved ones, and puts herself last. And she was super smart. When everyone else was falling apart, she was the voice of reason who always had a plan.The writing was so beautiful. It gave Lina a strong voice, and was full of such detailed descriptions. Even with a setting as harsh and horrible as this one, she found a way to add beauty to the most simple things.I will warn that there isn’t much of a happy ending. It’s hard to find a happy ending in the Holocaust. But this book does end with a small glimmer of hope, and left me satisfied. I’m looking forward to reading much more by Ruta Sepetys, and seeing how her voice will further illustrate history in such a beautiful way.