debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Throne of Glass

The Assassin and the Princess - Sarah J. Maas This has gotten lots of mixed reviews, but I’m happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Throne of Glass. While it wasn’t the most original addition to the world of high fantasy I’ve ever seen, it was still a thoroughly exciting story that I highly recommend!Celaena was an epic character! She was a prissy girly girl, but also knew how to kick some butt! She liked talking about dresses and shoes, then trying to solve the mystery of who’s been assassinating all the assassins (and maybe even did some assassinating herself!)There was a fair amount of mystery and suspense to the story. I kept trying to guess what would happen next, and I found myself completely shocked most of the time (though that may have to do with the fact that it was the middle of the night and I couldn’t think very straight…) There was a good balance between serious, suspenseful stuff, and the fluffy fairytale goodness.And speaking of fairytales… it was interesting to see how Cinderella wound it’s way into Celaena’s tale. The “Cinderella went to the ball to assassinate the prince” pitch is what initially sold me on this story, and made it enjoyable trying to spot the little fairytale Easter eggs hidden in the smallest nooks and crannies.While Throne of Glass isn’t perfect, it’s still pretty awesome and will definitely find a place for itself among fans of adventure, fantasy, and assassins!