debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

When You Were Mine

When You Were Mine - Rebecca Serle I found When You Were Mine to be realistic, funny, and heartbreaking. From the first page, I knew this would be something I would enjoy. Ever since I first read Romeo and Juliet, I was interested in Rosaline. I found myself seeing the story from her point of view a lot, so when I heard there was a book from her perspective I knew I had to get my hands on it!The writing was practically perfect! It was easy to read and entertaining. Rebecca definitely knows how to write. I found myself laughing, crying, and most of the time just having a good time. It was fun to see which elements of the original tale were kept in place, and which were twisted slightly to fit the new setting.I loved all the characters. They were all real, but kept certain traits of their Shakespearian counterparts, keeping the story going. Over the course of the story, I found myself hoping that things would turn out differently. That Rosaline and Rob would end up together and no one would die, but no. It stuck to the script, leading me to shed a few tears.If you hated being forced to read Romeo and Juliet in high school, give this new twist a chance. You will not be disappointed!