debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

A Tale Dark and Grimm

A Tale Dark and Grimm - I thought this was such a creative tale. It takes 8 fairy tales, most unfamiliar, and weaves them together into a wonderfully original plot.I love how the author slightly manipulated the fairy tales so that they all fit together. He sought out to put together this puzzle that no one else bothered to mess with. All he had to do was bend a few pieces!My favorite part of this book were the interruptions made my the narrator. Some were just to throw in a sarcastic joke, and some were to explain how illogical and gruesome these fairy tales are.This is the kind of book I want to throw at all those people who talk about Happily Ever After and fairy tales like they're all fluffy goodness, to say that "No, you only know the Disney version. If you read any real fairy tales, you'd be so grossed out, you'd never say 'I wish I lived in a fairy tale' ever again!" That's not to say that I don't like the Disney version, I just don't like people who don't know what they're talking about when it comes to fairy tales.