debzbookshelf

J.J. Howard
Siege and Storm
1984

Unbreak My Heart

Unbreak My Heart - Melissa C. Walker When I first heard about this book, I didn’t think much of it. It looked like a light, fluffy, contemporary love story, but it was much, much more than that. It was deep and wonderful and beautiful!This wasn’t a “love story” in the traditional sense. It isn’t about a boy/girl relationship as much as it is about a best friend relationship. After a difficult and unresolved friend-breakup, Clem spends the whole summer away from the rest of the world trying to set her emotions straight and find herself again. The emotional journey she goes through is a complete metamorphosis.James is one of my all-time favorite guys in YA lit. He’s just so happy and likeable, and he’s a ginger! Olive was another wonderful character. She reminded me of myself when I was 10 (which was kind of creepy). All the supporting characters were just as amazing and real.The writing was clean and crisp. I loved the way the chapters would alternate between Clem’s summer, and the events leading up to it. The way that most of the chapters began with a failed attempt at a letter was so smart. It was only a sentence or two, but it added a lot to the overall feel of the book.If you’re looking for a bittersweet contemporary novel, you need to check Unbreak My Heart out. It’s the perfect summertime book, too!